I can not believe it.
I can not believe we found this place.
After South Dakota, we cruised on down to Nebraska to see what we could find. As a couple, my husband and I really prefer to just "wing-it" when we travel. We'll make general plans, and just let the rest fall in place. There are certainly times that necessitate more planning than others, but on this leg of our trip we'd certainly allowed some margin for whatever. We could not have dreamed what the Lord would put before us in Nebraska. If we'd planned every detail ourselves, we wouldn't have arranged a better stay.
We were
tired after South Dakota. We needed a restful place and some down-time. We needed some easy days with the kids; we needed days with nothing to do, no place to visit, no pressure to be out and about. Unfortunately, we both have some trouble winding down. We never really let the dust settle under us. We thought it would be neat to stay on a ranch, but who's gonna let us do that? We found these things called "farm-stays" on the Internet. Basically, you find a farm and see if they'll let you stay. Now, considering we're pulling a house, we knew finding someone who would and could accommodate us would be tricky. I'm getting ahead of myself.
While traveling, I'll usually spend some time reading/studying with the
kids about the upcoming destination. We'll learn some facts about the
state, what it's known for, the capital, some landmarks, etc. CBR likes
to know the state mammal and bird for every state, and the girls
they enjoy seeing pictures of places to visit. I was telling CBR about
the white-tailed deer (state mammal) and how to spot the Western
Meadowlark (state bird). I am not kidding when I tell you that we
looked out the window and watched seven white-tailed deer run by. As if
on cue, our very next stop had two western meadowlarks sitting on a
fence. CBR was so pleased to point them out all by himself and impress
me with his new knowledge. The girls and I were learning about Chimney
Rock. We had just started discussing it, and it's role on the Oregon
Trail. I am not kidding when I tell you that we looked out the window
and saw Chimney Rock. That was the easy day with the kids I was needing.
 |
| Chimney Rock. We were just discussing it, when we look up and see it through our massively bug splattered windshield! |
Well, we found a 3,300 acre cattle ranch that would allow us to bring
our motor home and stay on their property. We drove out to the middle
of
nowhere! No paved roads, no Internet or cell service, no TV. Our RV
was bumping all over the dusty dirt roads. It sounded like every dish
was cracking to pieces. We thought we'd arrived at the right place, but immediately, the
rancher and farm hand came running out waving us away. To say we felt ridiculous on this ranch in the middle of nowhere in our
giant rig is an understatement. While we
were at the right place, they explained there was
no place to turn around in our RV if we kept driving. Now this was awkward because we
can't reverse in the RV with the
tow vehicle attached. We were stuck on a
narrow dirt road with no way to turn around. It was the most
uncomfortable introduction ever. After detaching the tow vehicle (while pretending
not to notice these ranchers staring us down), we backed all the way
out this dust bowl. From there, we followed Curtis, the ranch hand, about five
acres down another dirt road where we could not only turn around, but
they could offer us water and electricity for the motor home. Have I mentioned yet that the air is quite dusty here?
Upon arrival, Mr. Fix-It always sets up the RV, and the rest of us take Billie Jean out to potty and explore. Immediately I noticed our "home" and vehicle were covered in a thick layer of brown dust. Dirt was blowing everywhere, and I remember thinking it had probably just been stirred up from our vehicles on the dirt road. As we were exploring, we realize that this ranch is perched in such a way that our motor home overlooked Chimney Rock. Seriously? History and beauty all in our yard. How cool is that?
We were moderately concerned about getting off on the wrong foot with these people, but after some conversation, we felt we'd convinced them we were at least borderline normal. Curtis even offered to take the kids on a tour of the ranch and to let them do chores with him in the morning. They were thrilled! In South Dakota, they'd purchased some cowboy boots with their trip money, and were so excited to wear them on a real ranch doing real ranch chores.
That evening we went for a hike in these gorgeous rock formations around the ranch.
 |
| The view in front of our motor home. Chimney Rock is behind us. Somebody should really get those bugs off the windshield. |
 |
| We're heading this way to hike these rocks. |
 |
| As we approach . . . |
You can see the kids in the lower right corner of the above picture approaching the rocks. But the coolest part of this hike is what was waiting for us at the top. Look at the Big Horn Sheep standing on the top ledge.
 |
| View from the top of our climb. You can see our RV over to the left, and Chimney Rock diagonally behind. |
|
|
By now, I know this was no chance encounter. The Lord knows our needs before we even do. As I mentioned before, we were exhausted after South Dakota. By now, we've begun to realize what being away from friends, family, and neighbors is going to feel like. We're weary, and a bit lonely. We're tired of each other. We have no cell phone or Internet service, no television, and the dust is still blowing. My eyes itch because of all the dust. In these moments, you just want to pack it up and head home. The battle of your mind begins to convince you that you shouldn't have done this; you begin to consider all the things about your comfortable life you gave up, and all that you're missing. But climbing up and seeing this view reminds us why we came. Despite how short-tempered we were with each other, despite the fact the wind was blowing so hard at the top it was hard to stand or hear each other, it refreshed us. When we laid eyes on where we'd "landed" in Nebraska, we were reminded that we were exactly where we were supposed to be in that moment.
 |
| At the top. Wind blowing dust everywhere. |
The girls met Curtis promptly at 7:30am the next morning for Ranch Life 101.
 |
| Feeding Horses. Please notice Curtis is wiping dust out of his eyes. |
 |
| Gathering eggs from the chicken coop. |
Curtis took us around the entire ranch on the Kubota to check on the cattle. We learned that a rancher's paychecks are few and far between. One main source of income is when the spring calves are born. The rancher explained to us, that they began breeding one herd of their Herefords to calve in the fall, to increase the frequency of pay days. While we were in the pasture with Curtis, we were checking on the fall calving herd because they were supposed to begin calving within the next several weeks. They all looked the same to my untrained eye, but Curtis quickly spotted a Hereford who's "sack was full". He said she'd be going into labor soon. I asked if he would let us watch if she calved while we were there. He agreed.
 |
| Tuffy the Ox. He was bottle fed by the rancher, very friendly, and even politely posed with me for this picture. |
After chores, we spent the day exploring the ranch, and taking in the views, and just relaxing.
 |
| This property was so pretty, and full of history. Several acres behind this cowboy, was a historical marker noting "Moomaw's Homestead". Curtis showed us all the pictures of the family that had laid claim to this land long ago under the Homestead Act. |
Later that afternoon, Curtis came back for us just like he promised. The cow he'd noticed that morning had been in labor all day. He took us down to the pasture to watch her. We watched for about an hour. She was constantly up and down, pacing in circles, straining to push. She was bleeding and appeared to be struggling badly. Finally, Curtis told us he'd give her three more minutes before he needed to intervene. I see labor from the viewpoint of my personal experience. Curtis saw labor with dollar signs in his eyes. If something went wrong with that cow or her calf, it would cost hundreds of dollars. As he planned his next move, it was obvious that her strain may warrant an expensive vet bill. He was about to rely on a lifetime (literally, he grew up on a 65,000 acre cattle ranch) of experience to avoid spending and/or losing any money.
 |
| Behind Tuffy and CER was the momma cow in labor. |
The next series of events were so fast and exciting. Curtis said if
we waited any longer for this cow to birth naturally in the field, it
could put the momma or her calf in serious danger. Within minutes, we
were all (Billie Jean included) bouncing all over the pasture in the
Kubota trying to move the momma cow into the barn. Needless to say, she
was hurting, tired, and MAD. She was bucking and kicking the Kubota.
We were switching back from right to left so hard it was throwing us all
over the place. Our tour was over, and now Curtis was going to do his
job with or without us. I don't think I need to remind you, dust was flying everywhere! Once we got her close to the chutes to the
barn, my sweet husband and Curtis herded her in to the head catch. She
was madder than mad. For a minute, I really thought one of them might get
seriously injured. All I heard was my sweet "Mr. Fix-It's" panicked voice yelling for me
and the kids to get out of the chute -- this cow was head butting
the gate he was holding. I saw Curtis flying over the top
of an 8' fence. Reality set in. We weren't just playing cowboy anymore
-- I began throwing my kids over the same 8' fence.
Once
she was in the head catch, Curtis showed us what being a cowboy is
truly about. This momma cow was kicking and yelling. More than a few
times I worried I might be getting ready to see Curtis seriously
injured. After checking the calf several times, Curtis realized the
calf's head was turned backward, preventing the momma from delivering on
her own. All in one instant, Curtis ripped off the shoulder length
gloves, and his shirt . . . and dove in. Literally. He reached in,
grabbed the calf's front legs and wrapped chains around them. He
attached the chains to a crank, and cranked enough to reach back inside
the momma cow, and turn the calf's head. Once he'd turned the head, a
few more pulls had the calf out. It was quite a long process, but
here's the final moment.
 |
| Poor lifeless thing. Sad face. |
 |
| What a difference a good nights rest makes. Happy face. |
 |
| A little play time before they did morning chores again with Curtis. |
Now, I doubt the locals go here, but for dinner one night we found the neatest Oregon Trail Chuck Wagon. This guy named Murph took us for a ride in a covered wagon and taught us all the history of the area - the Platte River, Chimney Rock and the Pony Express. It was really very interesting. What was even more interesting is that Murph has been doing these tours for 38 years. Before that, he traveled with the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus beginning at age 18 as a stunt horseback rider. This guy had some stories.
They fed us a great steak dinner, and a little guitar entertainment afterward.
 |
| Now that's a grill. |
Now, as much as I loved mixing all the history with good food, I could not wait to get home and get my contacts out of my eyes! Have I mentioned that it's dusty here?
 |
| CBR petting Curtis' horse. |
 |
| I added this picture for no reason other than to prove it's dusty here. Check out the lower right corner. |
 |
| Curtis and the kids finishing morning chores. They hung on his every word. |
I'll always savor our down-time in Nebraska. We had much needed rest. We had some great learning experiences -- not just about life on the ranch. We had opportunities to learn more about living together as a family, about how to handle those "teachable moments" that arise with our children, and about how important it is to rest when you need it. Resting is sometimes hard in the hustle of life. I'm just thankful we found the perfect place to rest without worrying about "letting the dust settle under our boots!"
 |
| Nevermind the fact that the kids polished them while in Nebraska. Nebraskan boots will remain dusty. |
|
Wow! What a fantastic experience! I hung on your every word!
ReplyDeleteI love these unplanned experiences that we know are actually divine appointments! You all are seeing and doing such cool stuff; people like Curtis inspire me to take time for others. The pic of those boots put tears in my eyes....so sweet! I love the owners of those fancy kicks! ;)
ReplyDelete