Friday, June 7, 2013

I'm a Maine "Maine-iac!"

Maine!
I'm prepared to make a declaration.  I'm a "Maine-iac."  I'm nuts for this place.  There is something enchanting about the wilderness, the mountains, the water, the moose, the quaint little towns, the
charming lighthouses, and the lobster and blueberries everywhere.

Maine!
Will Rogers once quipped, "Did you ever see a place that looks like it was built just to enjoy?  Well, this whole State of Maine looks that way to me."

I agree, Will.

Undoubtedly, my perception of Maine would be different if we landed here during a bitter cold January, but I adore this place when it's all thawed out and green.

My personal driver arranged a stay for us at one of the only campgrounds open.  Due to the harsh winters, the campgrounds, and many shops and restaurants in Maine are only open for the summer season.  Unfortunately, because of the government sequestration, Acadia National Park delayed its park ranger staffing for several weeks.


Many campgrounds and businesses depend heavily on the traffic brought into the area because of Acadia National Park.  We found a lot of businesses were forced to delay the opening of their season to coincide with the National Park's opening.  There simply wouldn't be enough traffic to keep their doors open, otherwise.  When you're given a short summer season to begin with, a two or three week delay in opening your business puts a real pinch on your revenue.

Thankfully, the campground my personal driver found was phenomenal.  We were literally sitting right on the Gulf of Maine overlooking Mount Desert Island.



 
The view from our RV.  Mr. Fix-It out for an evening paddle.

Billie Jean and I out for a morning paddle.
During the days, the kids would take turns doing school while the other two played on the rocky coastline, built forts, or went paddle boarding.  My "Maine" event of our stay was when I was doing school outside with LAR, and CER had taken CBR paddle boarding to an island offshore.  It was a moment I'll never forget.  We're surrounded by this majestic landscape, and I look over LAR's shoulder to see a seal out playing in the water down from where the kids are paddle boarding.  It was one of those moments where you need to pinch yourself.  The beauty of creation around me and the gift of time with my family struck me.  I am blessed.

LAR doing school.  Other kids and seal out by the island in water.
CER and CBR -- Maine.



During our stay in Maine, we explored Acadia National Park, which is now one of my favorites!  We went on hikes, and had picnics on the rocky cliffs while enjoying the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks.  The turquoise seawater knocks against the cliffs with such force that the spray of the water reaches incredible heights.  There was a particular site named Thunder Hole where the waves came crashing into a narrow opening between two cliffs.  At high tide, each wave crashed so loudly against the rocks that it sounded like a roaring thunderstorm.



LAR hiking in Acadia National Park - Maine.

This.  This is why we did this trip.  For this.
Pinch me.
The tide along the coast where we stayed moves about 15 feet, which made for an excellent place to study tidepooling.  If you hit the Bar Island Sand Bar at low tide, you can walk all the way across the ocean floor to Bar Island.  At high tide, however, you'd be 10 feet underwater. 
 
Crossing the ocean floor to get to Bar Island at low tide.
 
The kids ran across this gigantic buoy.  The chain on this thing which holds it to the ocean floor had links in it the size of my head.  At high tide, this buoy floats atop 15 feet of water. 
 
When in Maine, you absolutely must indulge in the local flavors!  Fresh live Maine lobster!  Blueberry Lemonade!  Blueberry Pie!  Chocolate Chip Cookies!  Okay, that last one isn't specific to Maine, but I'm just accurately documenting our indulgences.  We spent some time in the teensy weensy town of Bar Harbor.  (Pronounced:  Baa Haabaah by locals.)  I'm telling you, this place is reeling me in!

Gorgeous.  Who cued the majestic flight of a seagull to swoop right into my picture?  I love this place.
If you've ever wondered . . . hmmmm, where could I find a lobster chair on wheels holding a gigantic ice cream cone?  Why, Bar Harbor, Maine, of course.
Everybody's heard of Maine lobster before, but I'd never heard of a lobster roll or a lobster pound.  Apparently, they are both how the locals do lobster.  A lobster roll is just lobster, mayonnaise, and salt & pepper on a hot dog bun.  Occasionally, you'd see people put celery in it too.  Locals eat them like hot dogs.  I liked it, but the rest of my family gagged.

Now, a lobster pound is quite fabulous.  It's a restaurant where everything is prepared outside.  First, you choose your lobster and kiss it goodbye.

Choosing our lobster at the lobster pound.
Kiss it goodbye.
One of several boiling pots at the pound.
They drop your lobster in these huge lobster boilers, and then tie a big bib on you, and voila.  You enjoy your meal at a picnic table outside.  Very casual.

I'm moving to Maine.
Lobster pounds are everywhere, but we found the best one!  We talked with the owners for a while, and were very inspired by them.  They live in Texas, but they've always loved Maine.  They decided they really wanted to do a family project.  The husband is a stockbroker, and the wife a physical therapist, and they have two teenage daughters whom they home school.  They decided their family project would be a lobster pound!  Each summer, they pack up and head to Maine for the season, which is mid-May through early October.  Throughout the summer, they work as a family running the restaurant.  They do an excellent job, and serve up the best homemade local cuisine -- fresh boiled lobster, blueberry lemonade, and blueberry pie!



Oh yeah, we'll be back.

Home sweet home.

1 comment:

  1. That last picture - LOVE IT! The three lined-up rainboots, the bikes, paddleboard, and beloved RV. Hugs to all of you!! -Mindy

    ReplyDelete